Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bay Area in the Spring Anyone?

Have you ever wondered, "Wouldn't it be nice to go out to the Bay Area this Spring?" Well, we have to inform you that if for some reason you can't come out here right now...we're your source for recapping the highlights. Below you'll find the Bay Area Doxey's Top 6 for the last few weeks.

But wait! There's more! For the full story check out the 'Recent Photos' link on the right nav.
1. Butterscotch. Nate, Liza, John, Ella and Charie went and rode Butterscotch (a pony at the barn where John & Ann's horses are housed) up Crow Canyon. They had a blast! Liza has been fascinated with ponies since time began for her, and the excitement generated by going with Ann to ride the horses is like the excitement that creepy Fuller Brush guy used to demonstrate when Mom would buy 10 brooms. You get the idea, lots of excitement.

2. #2 on 2. Liza is officially two years old! Of course, there were many eventful birthday parties, traditional birthday pancackes, presents, creative cakes, and more. Liza loved the introduction of Barbies in the home, dolls and more pink gear. Nate and John were thrilled but not quite hyperventilatingly thrilled since there were no boy presents slipped in the kitty.

One eventful moment was when we learned Liza was going commando all through the party--a paltry, foreboding statement to say the least. You see, right after the candles were blown out,we learned Liza herself had blown out as well. You guessed it--a huge pile of excrement in our family room...it was as if a herd of cows from the hillside had passed through. No matter though, we have an incredible carpet cleaning machine on tap and it's handy to work for a company that sells cleaning products!

3. Project Update. Distressed Brazilian Rosewood stained corner china hutch is done. Old secretary desk with hidden drawer is done (Liza is our new secretary)...now I just need to put in the glass doors. Here is a pic of how they've settled in. Right now I'm working on a mantle--should be pretty cool. More pics on that later. So much to learn.


4. Shaklee Slammers Notch First Win in Two Years.
We actually have a decent team this year, now that Rob is gone. Ha Ha. Ask Rob about that. I play in a corporate softball league where we play a bunch of other companies in the Hacienda Business Park. Last year we were 0-11. We were a desperate, pathetic team. Uncle Mark even played once when he was in town. We were that desperate. The closest we ever came to winning was once when the score was 2 to 3, we had the bases loaded with two outs and Rob was up to bat. He struck out and we lost the one game we had a chance of winning.

I can confidently say we're undefeated and have hope for a good season. I had two no swing, no hit doubles and scored due to a new rule which puts great pressure on the pitcher. You see, if you walk a guy, he automatically goes to 2nd base. So, my plan is to never swing until there are 3 balls, 2 strikes and it appears that the next pitch may be a strike. Brilliantly shrewd. Call it an old fat man's strategic game, but I'll take it. I've become 'one of them'. We didn't win ONE game last year!

5. Spectacular Explosion of Glass. I was out chopping wood early yesterday morning and made a new memory with the kids. Of course, having taught the Totin' Chip requirements many times over, I thought I had well prepared for safe wood chopping. The kids were safely in the house, I had a hat and gloves on, safety glasses, leather shoes, my blood circle was well defined, choping parallel to the drying cracks, I had secure footing, was using a chopping block, you get the idea. I had taken all the precautions Mom would have. You know she had a cousin die doing this once.
What I certainly was not prepared for what happened next. I was chopping a wierd angular piece off of a gynormo huge log and must have hit a knot in the wood. The piece was about as big as an angular softball and it suddenly went through our back picture window, spread glass all over the living room and momentarily stuck in our half wall.

There was glass EVERYWHERE. It was in the entry way on the other side of the house, office, you name it. After the loud crash (and after I got done thinking of Jones Paint and Glass) I just started laughing. I ran inside and of course the kids were in awe (as was I). Everyone was OK, fortunately nobody was in the room or hit or even got cut. Breaking that beauty was the straw that broke the camel's back. We had about 5 other glass replair projects building up so I finally took them all to be fixed. Rob said it best, "One step forward, two steps back."


6. San Gregorio Beach.
After the glass mishap and a trip to my favorite store in the Western Hemisphere (Apple Blossom Millworks), we all cruised out to San Gregorio Beach--the perfect place for kids, especially at low tide.
There is a river that the kids play in, tons of driftwood to build forts out of, a very gradual incline to the beach, soft sand...almost like SoCal beaches.
We flew a kite, played catch, and witnessed THE MOST INCREDIBLE SUNSET--the kind that just reaches deep into your memory making soul.

You have to check out the pictures on the Recent Photos link above.

We wish you could all be here. Let's plan the 2009 Family Reunion in the Bay Area for sure. Julie and I will take good notes, capture best practices and such with the Call Reunion and figure a way to make it happen.

Later. Have a good week!

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I always love reading your blogs.... what a gift you have. I am still laughing.
I'm glad everyone was safe in the glass incident. And, I have NO DOUBT you used all the aforementioned safety precautions. Mom will be very proud.

I'd certainly vote YES for an '09 Bay area reunion. Maybe keep that school bus your brother in law was talking about.

Much love,
Dorothy

Dan Doxey said...

You know, a guy at work had a great idea. From now on, whenever I chop wood, I should video record myself so when things like this happen, I can enter it into America's Funniest Home Videos and pay for the window. The sad thing is that amid all the chaos in our house, I'm the only one who has broken expensive glass. About a year ago I broke the glass door going out of the master bedroom...by merely installing a blind/shade over the window. Bummer.

Heidi and Rich said...

You are a crack up Dan. I love that you keep us posted. I just wish my posts were as entertaining as yours. Give Liza a big kiss for us. What are you guys having...a boy or a girl?

Dan Doxey said...

GIRL!!!!!

Lynne said...

Dan Doxey! Is it you??
We have wondered what happened to you and Julie over the years. Tony and I moved to Charleston, IL from Lawrence, KS after he finished school (finally) 6 years ago. He teaches at Eastern Illinois Univ. Our family blog is at: www.illinoisolivers.blogspot.com/
There is a link to Marci's family blog on our link list. Between Marci & I, we keep up with a variety of mission people. (By the way - she married into the Call family also. Her mother in law is a Call) Take care - Lynne (Shepherd)& Tony

Mom of Four said...

Could Dave and I just get a weekend travel itinerary from you guys? You go to the coolest places. Seriously. How fun!

Leslie said...

Okay, okay, we get it... You LOVE the Bay area!!! :)
Seriously, what fun! You guys are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place... The desert isn't much to look at.
P.S. THATS so exciting that its a GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

akdoxey said...

Reading your blogs makes me feel like I'm there. Thanks for sharing. You guys must never sleep with all the stuff you do- the furniture looks great.

Even the picture of the sunset touched my memory making soul, it's beautiful.

The Crane Family said...

Looks like Life at it's fullest! You guys always make life so much fun! Happy Birthday Liza! Keep up the posts--we love being in the Doxey know!