Friday, October 5, 2007

Points, Points, Points

So, the incredible number of comments we've received has revealed a need to explain our points based compensation plan for Nathan, John and Liza.

It's actually quite simple. WITHOUT PARENTAL NAGGING, the daily activities of ...
* getting yourself dressed (1 pt)
* brushing your own teeth (1 pt)
* combing your hair (1 pt)
* making your bed (2 pts --this week it might be 5 for extra insentive)
* daily reading/homework (BEFORE school is 10 points)
* practicing piano (BEFORE school 10 points)
* being reverent in Church
* on time to church without arguments

Extra points can be earned if you do it much earlier than expected. Once earned, points CANNOT be taken away by Mom & Dad for bad behavior--that earns them a totally different consequence.

Each kid has a point chart posted where they track their points each night. Then, for activites they use their points--special family bike ride, Ice skating, baseball with Dad, family trip to the dollar store etc. We try not to have them use them for candy treats or other food treats.

As a special Summer Reading Incentive, last April we started a Summer Reading Chart. If the boys would read every day, they could get football pads in the Fall. The wonder of it all is that they actually fell for it, and they are both getting Michigan Wolverines el cheapo football pads and "unis". I'll definitely be posting pics of all that when the unis arrive.

So, for those of you who asked, that's the point system. It works for now.

4 comments:

doug said...

I'm loving the Neal Peart drum solo! And the Merv Griffin set!

Leslie said...

Good idea on the points system~ You are creative parents. I must say, I feel I am a bit late for any kind of point incentive at this stage in the game! I shoulda thought of it years ago, then maybe Matt wouldn't be so unruly! (Ha ha)

Mom of Four said...

Hey Cool Blog! I like the points system and the great pictures of you guys as well.

akdoxey said...

This is a great idea- instead of just a check list or putting a money value to things. Did you get this from Love and Logic? It's amazing how much I'm already starting to apply Love and Logic in my attempt to discipline Leah but, usually I just want to cry when I have have to, her pouty faces really get to me.