Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Half Moon Bay in October






Nate finished up a great Soccer season, then he and John celebrated by playing cowboys in their tighty whiteys.

It was about 85 degrees when Julie and the kids took off to Half Moon Bay...again, while Dan toiled away at work. Mom and Dad Call were here and obviously thought the UV rays were intense. Nate, John and Liza seemed to think it was ok, until we told them they were in Red Triangle waters. This is all the result of the "save the seals" efforts of the last 20 years--which has now left us with one of the largest Great White populations just off shore.

For those of you who are new to this Red Triangle thing, it's the very reason why my surfboard sits in my office as a decoration. Google it if you want.

You see, (borrowing from my good buds at Wikipedia), "...the Red Triangle is the colloquial name of a roughly triangle-shaped region off the coast of northern California, extending from Bodega Bay, north of San Francisco, out to a bit beyond the Farallon Islands, and down to the Big Sur region, south of Monterey.

The area has a very large population of marine mammals, such as elephant seals and sea lions, which are a favored meal of great white sharks. It has also been estimated that of all documented great white shark attacks on humans, more than half have occurred within the Red Triangle.

The area encompasses the beaches of the heavily-populated San Francisco Bay Area, and many people enjoy surfing, swimming and diving in these waters. Some have been attacked by great white sharks. The "Red" in 'Red Triangle' refers to the red blood in the water, after a shark has made its attack."

Call me overly cautious, but this why I limit myself to only swimming out 5 miles each morning rather than 6 miles.

7 comments:

akdoxey said...

The whity tighty's are a beauty, the most authentic cowboy outfit. Leah and Liza do look a lot alike- maybe you think she looks so much like Leah because she's wearing all of the same clothes.

Leslie said...

HEY! I thought the title "half moon" referred to John in his underpants. NICE! Does he know you have posted these indecent pictures of him all over the place?! Ha ha!

Young Family said...

Good times at the Doxey's. I just wish that my boys were there being "exposed" too. And we wonder why they have problems!:)

Young Family said...

I just wish that my boys were there being "exposed" too. And we wonder why they're all messed up!:)

Young Family said...

testing...

Young Family said...

I'm just sitting here having a good 'ol belly laugh! One of those "tears streaming down the face" kind-of moments! Ok, so I've got more problems than you thought! Every time I try to comment, I get "This blog does not allow anonymous comments." So I try and try but it will NEVER WORK! Well, apparently it was doing it all along. Brilliant!!! These stupid computers! Let's keep this on the low-down please!:)

Young Family said...

Hey! It's Alyson and I miss you sooooo much! I wish that I could be there with you helping and having fun! Please come visit, so that we don't have to go 1/2 a YEAR with out seeing each other!